Skin & Allergy Clinic
The Skin & Allergy Clinic at Avicenna was established in 1991 by Mazin Al-Khafaji to offer the undoubted benefits of Chinese medicine in the treatment of both common and uncommon diseases of the skin - from a simple sun allergy to Lichen planus. Many acute and chronic disorders can be significantly helped and resolved by the correct use of Chinese herbs.
Herbal medicine has been successfully used in the Orient for thousands of years to manage and benefit diseases of the skin. In modern times, specialist dermatology departments in hospitals throughout China use the holistic principles of traditional Chinese medicine to treat the widest range of dermatological conditions. Recent research in the West has also clearly demonstrated not only the efficacy, but also the the lack of side effects, of this method of treatment (see for example the treatment of atopic eczema by Chinese medicine in "Research").
We also encourage you to read our Testimonials section to see the experiences and impressions of our past patients.
- Eczema. childhood eczema, atopic eczema (allergic), discoid eczema, pompholyx eczema (palms soles), stasis eczema (varicose), seborrhoeic eczema (including dandruff), contact and allergic dermatitis, ichthyosis.
- Psoriasis (plaque, guttate, pustular, erythrodermic, arthritic), parapsoriasis (digitate dermatosis).
- Asthma, allergic rhinitis (hay fever), urticaria, angioedema, food allergies (e.g. peanut allergy)
- Acne: teenage acne, post adolescent female acne, nodular-cystic acne (acne conglobata)
- Rosacea & perioral dermatitis, polymorphic light eruption (sun allergy).
- Itchy conditions such as lichen simplex (neurodermatitis), nodular & subacute prurigo, generalised itching with no rash etc.
- Viral and bacterial disease: herpes simplex, herpes zoster, warts, moelscum contagiosum, pityriasis rosea.
- Fungal and yeast infection. ringworm of the body, groin, axilla, fungal infection of the feet, hands, nails, pityriasis versicolor, candida albicans.
- Lupus erythematosus, alopecia areata, bullous pemphigoid,. granuloma annular, lichen sclerosus.
- Vitiligo, melasma (chloasma).
- Lichen planus (simple and hypertrophic), panniculitis.